Sunday 29 June 2008

Sunday morning

I love Sundays. It’s a day of rest. I take a bus to go to town around 11:20 a.m. At the second bus stop I look forward to see uncle Ben (I gave him the name Ben as he is big). He is there! with his Sunday papers. The seat behind the driver is Uncle Ben’s. He will not sit if that seat is taken. Instead, he will stand, as he gets down at the next stop. The bus driver waits for him as he steps down and I expect two old ladies to turn up at that stop.

There is one more this Sunday. So three of them greet everyone on the bus as they get on and to Uncle Ben who gets down. The three ladies are going to a Praise & Worship service. They seem to be coming from different places because they are updating each other with recent local events as they read from the newspapers.

This morning, I have not seen the crazy woman. She used to be on the same bus on Sundays with me. I said crazy because she always tries to distract the drivers by talking to them and standing near the drivers. She says, “it’s very nice to meet you, where do you live, etc’. She does the same thing whenever I see her on the bus on Sundays. The gentleman driver has to bear her nuisance while trying to drive safely.

Whenever I take 11:20 bus on Sunday, I somehow expect to see uncle Ben and the old ladies. They seem to live alone and yet busy with their daily routines. Although I do not know all of them in person I feel attached to them. If I do not see one of them I tend to think if he/she has fallen ill, and if so, is anyone looking after them etc. Seeing them on Sunday, doing their routine jobs make me feel assured. I can’t explain that feeling but I simply feel at peace and happy. They are old and yet independent and occupied. They seem to be lonely but are always mixing around with their surroundings. I actually learnt something from them. You don’t need to feel sorry for what you’ve been through but be happy and content with what you have. That’s how we all should live everyday!

Everybody gets down at the city centre bus stop. Some people go to church, some to work and some just to wonder around the city. As for me, as I’ve seen the old ladies and uncle Ben, this Sunday is a normal one for me and I hope the next Sunday is the same too. May God Bless all grandmas and grandpas.

No comments: