Sunday 29 June 2008

I work at the card shop

Today my first customer is an elderly lady. She bought a card to cheer up somebody. How I envy her; trying to lift somebody's spirit, so caring and kind? Business seems good today. In spite of the rain, I have more customers than other mornings.

A couple is happy and satisfied that they get 4 cards and cost them only $5. The man praises the woman and she says, 'of course I look at the codes'. (A smart customer!) Another customer comes in and asks if we have any cards for somebody who has just passed the exam. I take him to the section where all the congratulations cards are. He then picks 2 cards, a congratulations and a good luck, and asks me which one. He cannot read. I pick the congratulations card for him and it is cheaper than the good luck card. (A lucky customer!)

Almost every customer who comes to my shop is considerate and concern about other people and that is why they take time looking for a suitable card. Sometimes it is not very easy to do that and many people leave with nothing. Most of my customers also take seriously of packing their presents in detail, with a bag or a box, with a pretty wrapping paper or a tissue paper, then a tag and/or tied it with a ribbon or a bow. Needless to say all are very pretty and costly. I am very impressed with their kind gesture, especially when men come and buy the cards.

Then I see someone whom I know comes in with her lovely grandson. She tells me about a dreadful accident. While listening, I make all sorts of exclamations and remarks on the subject that I am told. I wish everyone who comes in and goes out of my card shop has a peaceful and pleasant day and a safe journey on their way back home.

It is 30 minutes to close the shop. More customers tend to come in at this particular time. A card for a Mum, an adult humour card, a wedding congratulation and a thank you card are sold. As the last minute call is announced, I rush to clean and re-arrange the cards for the next day!

No comments: